Monday, April 18, 2011

Worst Experience Ever!

       Saturday night I had one of the most awkward dining experience of my life.  My hubby, friend, and I took advantage of the last day of Morristown Restaurant Week and went to the Grand Cafe.  I looked up the website and there was no dress code listed. I looked at pictures and it appeared to be a nice place so i wore nice dark jeans, heels and a super dressy top, figuring that would be good since there wasn't a dress code. Wow was I underdressed! The waiters were wearing tuxes!!! Plus all the diners were older couples. We were the only people under 40. NOT a good way to start the evening off!
      It pretty much went downhill from there. The appetizers were good. I had some of the best Escargot of my life. (Gratinee of Escargot, served with a Thai Basil-Garlic Butter and a Crispy Scallion Crouton). The hubby loved his Andouille Sausage, served with a Taro Root Puree and Truffle Demi-Glace. I thought the sausage was a little spicy personally. And our friend was pleased with his classic Caesar Salad (which had actual homemade caesar dressing!). But the uncomfortable feeling never left!
       My entree ( Seafood Crepe, served with Scallops, Shrimp, Jumbo Lump Crab and a Saffron Dill Emulsion) was horrible! The seafood was rubbery and so strong I couldn't even taste the Saffron. The guest next to us ordered it also and we could smell it from our table. Hubby wanted to try something new- Sautéed Calves Liver, served with Green Peas, Sautéed Onions, Pureed Potatoes and Crispy Bacon with a Raspberry Vinegar Demi-Glace.  We discovered we don't like liver but it was cool to try!
Tom made the smartest choice by ordering Kobe Beef Hamburger, with Slice Onions, Cucumber Tomato Salad and Homemade Pommes Frites. He was much happier than James or I, especially with his Mango Cheesecake! Hubby and I both had Creme Brulee which was very good but nothing out of the ordinary. 
      All in all, the night was pretty awful considering we were watched like we were going to rob the place. That, and the fact that they seated us right next to the piano player. Verdict? Never going back! I wouldn't recommend it unless you were going with your rich grandparents. Or wanted classic French Food from the 70's.  If you are interested.....
http://thegrandcafe.com/


 See you next time, hopefully with a much better restaurant!

3 comments:

  1. oh no!! lol i knew you were going to say they sat you somewhere crappy!! oh well, better luck next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that sucks! I know the feeling of being stared at in a restaurant like that...so uncomfortable! But at least you guys tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chrissy! I found you from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen and saw that you, too were a new blogger. I just started a couple of blogs too and know how hard it is to get followers! Welcome to the blogsphere.

    ReplyDelete